CITB SMSTS 2018 Two Day Refresher Course Delivery Overview
We’re serious about getting you through the SMSTS Refresher Course which is why we’ve created unique training methods and materials to transfer the knowledge you need in the limited time available.
Your obligation is to put 100% effort in to the learning
This is a joint venture and your obligation is to put 100% effort in to the learning. With the new CITB criteria for the SMSTS Refresher Course, this is even more important – as one ‘Safety Critical’ question wrong will result in a failure.
SMSTS Refresher Course Agenda Day 1:
- Course introduction, aims and objectives, including use of additional RISK delegate workbook.
- Common causes of accidents; reporting/recording (RIDDOR & Accident Book) and 1st Aid provision;
- Revision of the Law (Common, Statute, Civil and Criminal) and Health and Safety legislation, Approved Codes of Practice and guidance documents;
- Revision of HSW Act 1974 including Powers of inspectors and potential consequences if prosecuted.
- Revision of Risk Assessments, Method Statements and Permits to Work and H&S Management Systems based on HSG6
- Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM) including importance of leadership and worker engagement.
- Setting of delegate workbook homework questions as part of Day 1 revision.
SMSTS Refresher Course Agenda Day 2:
- Review of RISK Delegate Workbook Day 1 questions;
- Review of high risk construction activities: work at height, excavations, buried and overhead services, confined spaces and mobile workforce;
- Review of construction occupational health issues including: hazardous substances, asbestos, dusts and fumes, lead, noise, vibration, stress, mental health and manual handling.
- Course provider set Mock Examination exercise.
- End of course examination: 30 min. examination (20 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions).
- End of course review and opportunity for any on-the-day exam resits.
Course work & Homework must be completed
To ensure you stand the best possible chance of passing, you need to complete the homework. Which means for after your initial day of the SMSTS Refresher course you will also be working in the evening. Our estimate of time you need to dedicate on an evening depends upon you, but we’d suggest a minimum of 90 minutes is required. You have an ‘out-of-hours’ number to support you when working on homework, so we feel we’ve done everything we can to provide you with the knowledge to pass. You just need to put the work in.