Health and safety responsibilities of Managers and Heads of Department
25 November 2018
Each manager/department head is responsible for his personal safety and that of all personnel under his or her authority, including others who may be affected by the company’s activities.
In particular they will:
- Understand and implement the company safety policy.
- Appreciate the responsibilities of personnel under their authority and ensure that each employee knows his/her responsibility and are equipped to play their part.
- Conduct Risk Assessments on activities within their department ensuring that the methods and systems of work are safe. Also, that the necessary procedures, rules and regulations designed to achieve this are formulated, published and applied.
- Provide written instructions of work methods outlining potential hazards and precautions, and ensure they are complied with.
- Ensure accident and near-miss reporting procedures are understood and complied with, and assist with accident investigations where appropriate.
- Ensure all employees and sub-contractors are suitably trained/competent to carry out the prescribed task and that the necessary licenses/certificates of competence are in force and appropriate.
- Ensure the Statutory Notices, the Safety Policy, Insurance Certificate and the names of Appointed First Aiders are displayed and maintained in prominent locations.
- Ensure that all new employees in the company are provided with a copy of the policy statement, receive such induction training as may be laid down in procedures, are issued with personal protective equipment as required and their personal responsibilities as set out in this manual.
- Reprimand any employee for failing to discharge their health and safety responsibilities.
- Set a personal example with regard to health and safety matters.
Do you understand the Health & Safety responsibilities on you?
Mike is Managing Director of RISK who provide Health & Safety consultations and are recognised as one of the UK’s leading health and safety training providers. Delivering CITB, NEBOSH and IOSH courses at their venues in Nottingham, Liverpool and London and in-company.